Fresh Laffa with Spiced Ground Beef
Prep Time: 50 min Serves: 5 Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
1 lb ground beef
6 cloves garlic
5 tsp zatar
3 tsp ground coffee (optional)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
1 tbs sugar
4 cups bread flour
6 tbs olive oil
1.5 cups warm water
1. Mix 1 tsp yeast and 1 tbs sugar into warm water. Let yeast activate for 5 min.
2. Mix together bread flour and 1/2 tsp salt.
3. Add water mixture into flour, stirring until combined.
4. Add 2 tbs oil to dough.
5. Cover and let rise 30 min.
6. While dough is rising, chop up onion and garlic.
7. Coat skillet with 2 tbs oil, adding onion and garlic once hot.
8. Cook stirring for around 15 min, or until onions are soft and translucent.
9. Add ground beef to skillet and continue to stir as beef browns.
10. Add in 3 tsp zatar (or to taste) and 1 tsp salt. If you have any on hand, you can also add in 2 tsp coffee for extra flavor.
11. Once beef is cooked through, remove from heat and set aside.
12. Separate laffa dough into 9 balls. Cover and let rise 10 min.
13. Heat 2 tbs oil in a new skillet.
14. Take one of your laffa dough balls, and using a rolling pin roll into a thing flattened round.
15. Lightly coat dough with zatar and place in skillet.
16. Cook until laffa begins to brown, 2-3 min each side.
17. Reheat ground beef and top each round of laffa with a generous helping!
18. Sprinkle with zatar to finish.